If You're Yackin', You Ain't Pedalin'!

A former pro mountain bike racer refusing to shave her legs and still making 'em cry and lie.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

ALLEZ, ALLEZ!! World Cup Mt. Ste. Anne, QB 6/25/2006

After tackling the most difficult US National Mountain Bike Series cross country course in Vermont, I thought I was ready for the most difficult course on the World Cup circuit: Mount Sainte Anne in Quebec, Canada. I was excited about this trip for several reasons: I was going to race against the best mountain bikers in the world, I was going to dust off my French speaking skills and put them to good use, I was going to visit yet another beautiful part of the world with my hubby and some of my Southern California race buddies were going to be there too-Teri Strayer and Christie Pleiss (see the picture of us just before the race). There was so much to look forward to.

My husband and I arrived at the mountain a couple of days before the race so that I would be able to get some saddle time in on the race course. The mountain had been pummeled by rain storms. I was not quite sure what the 6km course was going to be like. Pre-riding the course there were sections that were already lined with spectators because they were some gnarly root, rock and mud drop offs. I do not perform dangerous moves well in front of an audience so I walked a bunch of those sections. One of the descents was ankle-deep mud that I skated down on my feet trying not to lose my bike. Luckily one of the course marshals told me that he had yet to see anyone actually ride it – that made me feel so much better. Then one section I tried riding I ended up hugging the padded telephone pole and my bike went elsewhere. Yikes!

Race day was arriving quickly and I was ready for a good night’s sleep. It was Quebec’s holiday, Saint Jean-Baptist, and much to our dismay the all night party was stationed right across from our condo. The speakers were pointed directly at our place and deep bass shook the rooms – after inquiring at the front desk, the party was to last until 6AM and the place was booked solid so we could not change rooms. We hightailed to a quiet establishment down the road.

After a peaceful night’s rest, I was ready to race. It was a warm day, but most of the course was in the trees. Launching off the start line, we were sent around a spectator loop. The extra start section was great for me since I was called up toward the back of the pack – I did not have any World Cup points to be ranked yet. I crept my way up, passing almost a dozen racers. I was feeling awesome! Hitting the first bit of single track and then the first descent was bottlenecked. I made it half running, half riding down the first technical section and dropped my chain – not once, but TWO times. Losing time putting my chain back on, I was almost the last person because the course marshal on the motorcycle who sweeps the last rider was so close I was choking on exhaust fumes.

This five lap 6km course was like a short track race. I knew I had to get back on track and start catching riders because the officials would start pulling racers in jeopardy of being lapped. I was feeling good and I started reeling racers in that had passed me while I was fixing my chain. The crowds were amazing – the most I have ever seen at any mountain bike race. They lined both sides of one of the climbs cheering everyone on – calling out racers by their names-even my name! I felt famous! It was exhilarating.

Flying down a hill and back up the other side of a short, blind power climb I almost ran over the line of race officials blocking the course. Two laps and I was being pulled out of the race. Wicked bummer! My legs were ready to keep going. I finished 70th out of 81 starters. Just having the experience of racing in a World Cup event made it worthwhile.



1 Comments:

  • At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Meggan,

    Please write more!! Great stuff!!

    Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home