If You're Yackin', You Ain't Pedalin'!

A former pro mountain bike racer refusing to shave her legs and still making 'em cry and lie.

Monday, April 09, 2007

Ridin’ Dirty……or Nerdy?!??

Moving back to the east coast has challenged me on a variety of levels, biking included. I have spent many long hours in the basement looking at the snow piles out the window. Now that the snow has almost all melted it is time to go out and play! But unlike Colorado after the snow melts the roads here are not dry…..my bike has been perpetually dirty. My hubby rigged a fender on my road bike so I could get a few hours outside without freezing winter run-off spraying my butt. Sexy, I know.

I did my first training road race last weekend. It was very interesting. The race was next to the Hudson River and the spring breeze cut right through all my warm clothes. But the sun was shining and I was feeling like I had just been released from prison. I was scared I would have lost my edge pack riding since I have been training next to the washing machine in the basement for the last few months. The race was with CAT IV and V men. So here I was riding next to some guys who were similar to a washing machine. Many times I gasped for my life and collar bone with the sketchy wheels and crazy moves – like the one with race smarts who crossed the yellow line into oncoming traffic. Thankfully, there were only close calls and no crashes. I pulled off a 3rd place among the women in the group and about mid-pack for the men, finishing with the lead group.

This weekend we made the trip to Connecticut for my first mountain bike race and ride of the year. My aunt and uncle were so generous to take us in for the weekend and accompany us to the race. It was the first time I had been on my mountain bike since December. I was not too sure how I was going to handle the technical parts of the trails. Also, I acquired a cold the day before the race. My head was stuffy and I was feeling a bit grumpy about racing. It was especially hard to be motivated to race when the thermometer barely went over 40 degrees and the wind off the lake sent a chilling reminder that it could snow.

The problem with not riding my mountain bike turned out not to be the technical aspects of the race course; it was how my bike was functioning. The neat part about this race was there were 6-7 pro women. I was impressed with the turnout. The first lap, I shot like a bunch of nerves out of the gate. I took a lead position pretty quickly, but lost it to severe chain suck. Yup, my chain went between my cogs and spokes of my rear wheel. I thought I was going to break my rear derailleur yanking it free. As I finished my first lap, with Steve yelling, “You’re only 45 seconds behind the leaders.” To which I replied a disenchanted, “Whatever.”

So my first lap was not so hot with the mechanical. But I did motor through the race course smoothly. I was happy that my skills flowed back so easily. The trails were super muddy, with long stretches of deep mud puddles in some sections and fun roots and rocks in others. By the second lap I had caught up to the third place racer. We were riding together when another pro woman came from the opposite direction asking, “Am I going the wrong way?” Unfortunately, she had gotten off course and missed a turn. Sadly, she also packed it in for the day.

Into my third lap, I passed the racer I was riding with and did not see her again. I did get another mechanical, but was able to fix it pretty quickly. I was starting to get a little tired and having trouble to maintain focus. I looked for my energy gel I had stuffed in my waistband-somehow it had worked its way into my tights. I rooted around for it, but alas, no luck. I figured I would not starve and my energy would have to stay in my pants.

At the beginning of the final and fourth lap I endoed hard. I took a slow motion line into a rock garden mud puddle and flew over the handlebars, slamming my right knee on the rock and soaking my hand and foot in the icy muddy water. After five seconds of crying, I got back on the bike and pushed my way through the pain. I tried to take a sip out of my camel back, but all I got was a mouthful of mud. Pushing through the remainder of the race course, I had another incident of severe chain suck. This one was much more difficult to yank out because by this time my bike was so encrusted with mud. I started acting like Hincapie, I looked over my shoulder to see who was riding up to me-would anyone catch me with my crash and mechanical?

I reached the home stretch crossing the finish line with a 3rd place finish. I earned that place on so many levels. From being sick, to overcoming the mind demons to persevering through mechanicals and crashes it will probably be one of my more memorable races. Best of all, it was awesome to have my family and my husband there to support me and cheer for me. Thanks guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home