If You're Yackin', You Ain't Pedalin'!

A former pro mountain bike racer refusing to shave her legs and still making 'em cry and lie.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Final Chapter of 2007 XC Race Season

The 2007 mountain bike season has come to a close for me. Racing was my fortress this season. It kept me figuratively and literally moving forward in the midst of major changes. But I have been putting off the last race of the season update for weeks. I wandered into the “off-season” with such ferociousness that it has been difficult to look back at what has already been accomplished.

Arriving in Farmington, CT for the final Root 66 after a nice relaxing stay at my lovely aunt and uncle’s home and a brutal round of Happy Gilmore croquet, my elation to finish the final cross country race was clouded by a layer of heavy fatigue – though not to be blamed on the croquet match. Mentally and physically I was cooked. I felt like I was running on fumes.

It took a couple of trips to the registration tent to get my number plate. I forgot my money to pay for the race, had to make a detour to the bathroom and got caught up socializing with my race buddies. I finally suited up and took a pre-ride spin. The course as dry, fast and the only technical elements to clear were four logs graduating in size. Not one section was walkable.

My bike, however, was giving me serious fits. I had some work done on it and it was ghost shifting. I chunked my way from one gear to the next to try and find one that would hold the chain. I was lucky enough to have my teammate, Jon Rowe, give me a hand and find better alignment with the rear derailleur. It was enough to make it tolerable to ride and get me through the race.

The start line was very social until the whistle went off. I popped off the front with a slight burst trying to maintain sight of the usual fast suspects. It was not before long that I fell back and lost glimpses of their bright colored jerseys in the twisty turns of the trails.

With each pass through the start/finish line area I was cheered on my best and most devoted fan club – my hubby, Stephen, and my aunt and uncle ringing their cow bells. Stephen receives fan of the year award for supporting my racing endeavors – putting up with grueling training schedules, dealing with my unruly pre-race attitude, post race highs, sweltering heat, rain storms, driving me thousands of miles to events, and just plain taking care of me as my loyal
soigneur. My aunt and uncle have also delightfully attended many of my races – their cheers are powerful and the cow bells are inspiring. I am the luckiest racer out there to have so much support!



Back to the race. It took less than an hour and a half to power through the wooded dusty trails and complete four 4-mile laps. I was thankful to have finished upright. My bike still gave me fits but at least I did not have to race single speed. Maybe next season. I finished 4th for the race. Since this was also the Root 66 series finale I also found myself 3rd overall for the Pro Women. Overall, I had a respectable season and feeling proud that I was able to overcome many obstacles to see it through to the end.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:28 PM, Blogger Christie said…

    meggan! congrats on wrapping up the season! i enjoyed all of your race reports this season. miss having you on this coast, but glad you are repsentin' well back east!

     
  • At 9:27 PM, Blogger Meggan said…

    Thanks chica! Good luck the 'cross season. It looks like you are already making your mark! I am on break and still have not pulled my head out of the tub of ice cream.

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger Sharpie said…

    Meggan! Found your blog again and am glad to see you are doing well.
    Great pix! Keep the rubber side muddy, and we'll see ya at the Nationals!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home