If You're Yackin', You Ain't Pedalin'!

A former pro mountain bike racer refusing to shave her legs and still making 'em cry and lie.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Knees and Trees

Just about every mountain bike race I have been in this season I have managed to whack my knees and have tried to take out some trees. One race I even slammed my knee on a tree. So now I sport a perpetual bruise on each knee. Oh what to wear with purple and yellow?

Anyhow, this past weekend was the grand Apple Blaster Mountain Bike Stage Race. It was three events taking place in two different states – no not delirium and panic, New Hampshire and Vermont…jeeeesh…. Saturday’s events were the short track and hill climbing events. We drove in that morning and arrived just in time to wait for the promoters to set up. For some reason these New England events tend to have livestock on the premises. The start/finish area included some chickens. Yup, we were in the sticks.

The short track course was already taped off so I took a test drive. This was the longest short track I have been on yet. We wound through the apple orchard and barreled down the other side of the hill to climb bit of dirt road and then we were launched into some single track steady technical climb that kept everyone honest. My first practice run through I endo’d over the last ditch before the start/finish. That is were I tasted a couple of trees - saplings so they were tender and pliable and did not leave much of a mark.

For the actual race it was so cool to see a whole line-up of racing women! We actually got our own start and the official gave us our last three laps off our own race leader instead of being tossed in with the guys! Outstanding! During the race I was on fire and inspired. I was doing pretty well on my first lap until I hit the technical jog through the rocks and roots and lost my chain. I clamored back on the bike and hustled around the turns and up the hills to regain position. But no such luck. On the gravel left turn up the dirt road I laid my bike down and had a complete water bottle yard sale and chain drop. Ooops! I got back on and hammered my way through again, tasting a little puke from the effort. I finally got a few laps in without incident. Coming around for my last lap I was so excited that I endo’d off a pyramid of logs in the mud. I finally finished upright and dirty and in 2nd place.

Right after the short track race we had the hill climb time trial. This hill had some 6-10% grades up some old logging road – for you west coast folks this means fire road. It was shale and gravel with a lot of spring run-off troughs. I think I was the only person who hit the only puddle in the road on the way up. I zoomed my way up and came close to winning – I could almost taste it, but 11 seconds too short off the winning time. Not bad and another 2nd place finish.

The next day we were in Putney, Vermont for the cross country race. It was sure a beautiful venue. The day was warmer too. I took a chance to do my warm-up on the race course instead of sitting on the trainer. Riding the fine line between a predictable consistent warm-up and getting a pre-view of the course made me wary of how I would perform during the race. I took a chance to check out the course and found myself gasping for air on some of the climbs that I got off and walked. I was not sure I was going to make it back for the start in time. It was swooping single track roller coast trails in the trees with no let-up. During my practice run I missed a shift and slammed my right knee on my handlebars climbing a switchback. Ow! Fortunately, I made it back just in time for the start and a quick pre-race pee break.

At the whistle, I stomped off the start line. I am not sure where the energy was coming from because my pre-ride/warm-up did not feel good. I was racing between controlled and ohmygodiamgoingtoofast speed on the descents. I found the sweet spot on the switchback climbs and tight left hand S turns. I went a little too fast down one hill that my bike hopped straight down parallel to the hill. I managed to keep upright and keep going hoping to remember not to do the same scary move for the rest of the laps.

Hammer, hammer, hammer. I raced steady staying consistent with each of my five 4.3 mile laps. Every cell in my body was smiling. I was having a wonderful time. I grabbed a juice bottle from my doting husband in the feed zone and went out for my 3rd lap. It was getting toasty warm and I was thirsty. I ended up losing the bottle about mid-way through the lap. At first I thought it was a stick trying to take out my rear derailleur. For the last two laps I kept my race pace trying to ride as fast as my legs would go without cramping. No crashes or mechanicals I found myself at the finish in 3rd place. Shazam! It was a major racing breakthrough. I am getting back on track – physically I am stronger and mentally I am ready to race.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger Christie said…

    awesome! looks like you are in a good place right now! can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home